Definitions

Sorry, no definitions found.

Etymologies

Sorry, no etymologies found.

Examples

  • ‘Intellectual’ has a completely different meaning in English, usually meaning someone who has a more esoteric way of thinking, rather than the well educated and well brought-up meaning it has in Poland.

    Biweekly about culture | the POLSKI blog

  • People who come to events like that know better, behave properly and were doubtless well brought-up.

    Real life and virtual

  • I simply cannot believe they were all badly brought-up and take a pleasure in offending, think name-calling, bullying and using foul language are acceptable, here or anywhere else.

    Real life and virtual

  • It gets better, of the ones I brought-up 9/11 to, I'd say 90% agreed it was an inside job and the other 10% at least agreed we never got the real story.

    Coming Soon-- Riots in America?

  • Now my son is absolutely, feverishly gun-crazy (as all properly brought-up boys should be) but my initial reaction was to say no, junior, you've got a few years yet.

    How Much Kick Can You Take?

  • No longer am I constrained by the culture that I was born and brought-up in.

    Archive 2007-04-01

  • And I, who in my youth always felt that St Therese was a figure who seemed unappealing nicely brought-up,keen to be an enclosed nun, ill,died young suddenly found I had a different attitude, and was certainly committed to joining in with the whole event.

    I got rather enthusiastic...

  • To assign it this function is neither to say nor to imply that spirit cannot, in the case of a corrupt and de-natured soul, turn against reason, even if well brought-up individuals like Glaucon are not familiar with such corruption either in their own case or in the case of others (440b).

    Ancient Theories of Soul

  • That was because they used black infantry troops such as their Unita proxy and SWATF (in Namibia) as cannon fodder while the white troops brought-up the rear from the safety of armoured vehicles and tanks.

    CONTENTS

  • The gist of her confessions was that she did not care a bit about one day marrying a well brought-up young man — most likely she would never marry.

    The Master Builder

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.

Comments

Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.