Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of the plants Scrophularia aquatica and S. nodosa, derived from the color of the stems.
- n. A name of the self-heal, Brunella vulgaris, from its use in a disease of the throat called die bräune (the brown) in German.
- n. A species of figwort or Scrophularia (Scrophularia vernalis), and other species of the same genus, mostly perennials with inconspicuous coarse flowers.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) A species of figwort or Scrophularia (Scrophularia vernalis), and other species of the same genus, mostly perennials with inconspicuous coarse flowers.
- brown + wort (Wiktionary)
“She found brownwort, with its loose spike of strangely shaped brown flowers, in a damp and shady place near the water, and she collected the whole plants to make into a wash, for their skin-healing and itch-relieving properties.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘brownwort’.
I have in mind the worts associated with a green thumb rather than a green beer - but as you can see by the name, I'll accept anything you have to offer.
Looking for tweets for brownwort.