American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A mat-forming perennial grass (Buchloe dactyloides) native to the plains of central North America, important as a forage grass and sometimes used for lawns.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common name for several low grasses very prevalent upon the plains east of the Rocky Mountains, including Buchloë dactyloides, a diœcious species, and Bouteloua oligostachya, with others of the same genus.
- n. Bouteloua dactyloides.
- n. Hierochloe odorata, family Poaceae, sweetgrass.
- n. Anthoxanthum odoratum, sweet vernal grass, vanilla grass.
- n. Stenotaphrum secundatum, Saint Augustine grass.
- n. Panicum maximum, Guinea grass.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.), [U.S.] a species of short, sweet grass (Buchloë dactyloides), from two to four inches high, covering the prairies on which the buffaloes, or bisons, feed.
- n. short grass growing on dry plains of central United States (where buffalo roam)
- n. low mat-forming grass of southern United States and tropical America; grown as a lawn grass
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘buffalo grass’.
Appendix of sorts to AIC, listing plants named with reference to animals and vice versa.
The collocations below consist of nouns only. Noun-noun collocations are extremely frequent in science (just think of the names of species, chemical compounds or "scientist+invention" type collocat...
discharge lamp, correlation matrix, obidoxime chloride, withdrawal symptom, ipratropium bromide, book lung, zirconium dioxide, octane number, acetyl group, computer accessory, pinto bean, regression equation and 480 more...
Grasses, and words about grasses.
Prairie grasses names are found in this list.
Names of medical marijuana strains can be found elsewhere.
Common varieties of grasses and sedges native to American prairies.
Looking for tweets for buffalo grass.