from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of large windlass used in drilling.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a wheel, or drum, on which a rope is wound for lifting heavy articles, as logs, the tools in well boring, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In rope-drilling; the wheel used for raising the tools.
- n. in a saw-mill, a large wheel used in drawing the logs from the water to the carriage.
- n. In the machine for boring wells, the wheel on which the part of the bull-rope which is not in use is wound. It usually consists of a drum with a wheel on each end.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.