from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several shrubs or shrubby plants, such as the summer cypress and certain species of euonymous, having foliage that turns bright red in autumn.
- n. See gas plant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. an ornamental shrub (Euonymus atropurpureus), bearing a crimson berry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The emblem adopted by the Presbyterian churches of Scotland in memory of the persecutions of the seventeenth century, and bearing the legend “Nec tamen consumebatur” (yet not consumed), in allusion to Ex. iii. 2.
- n. A name of various shrubs or plants.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. densely branched Eurasian plant; foliage turns purple-red in autumn
- n. deciduous shrub having purple capsules enclosing scarlet seeds
- n. Eurasian perennial herb with white flowers that emit flammable vapor in hot weather
- n. (Old Testament) the bush that burned without being consumed and from which God spoke to Moses
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.