from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An African antelope (Tragelaphus scriptus) having a reddish-brown coat with white markings and twisted horns. Also called harnessed antelope.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An antelope (Tragelaphus scriptus) that is found in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- n. Occasionally used for any relatives of above that share its inhabitant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. antelope with white harnesslike markings and twisted horns.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name given to several species of the genus Tragelaphus, especially to T. sylvaticus, an antelope of Caffraria and Cape Colony, 4 feet long and 2½ feet high, with triangular subspiral horns.
- n. The harnessed antelope, Tragelaphus pictus; also, the rare T. bor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. antelope with white markings like a harness and twisted horns
The bushbuck is the smallest, and is found over nearly all of East
Its varied diet ranges from larger animals such as bushbuck (Tragelaphus scriptus), chacma baboon (Papio ursinus), and bushpig (Potamochoerus larvatus) to smaller animals including mice.
The only antelopes to survive are species such as bushbuck (Tragelaphus scriptus), red duiker (Cephalophus natalensis) and blue duiker (Cephalophus monticola), which live hidden in dense vegetation.
There are also is an isolated population of the Cape dassie Procavia capensis, also tree hyrax Dendrohyrax dorsalis; and bush pig Potamochoerus porcus, warthog Phacochoerus aethiopicus, bushbuck Tragelaphus scriptus, Maxwell's duiker Cephalophus maxwelli and black duiker C. niger, bay duiker C. dorsalis and forest buffalo Syncerus caffer nanus.
A couple of weeks ago, while glassing four female Meneliks bushbuck two hundred yards away feeding in a tiny clearing during a pouring rain, a nice male stepped into view.
A startled bushbuck flew through the vegetable patch and out to the drive.
In addition, there are bushpig Potamochoerus larvatus, giant forest hog Hylochoerus meinertzhageni, bushbuck Tragelaphus scriptus, yellowbacked and blackfronted duiker Cephalophus sylvicultor and C. nigrifrons.
The most frequently encountered mammals above the treeline are Kilimanjaro tree hyrax Dendrohyrax validus (VU), grey duiker Sylvicapra grimmia and eland Taurotragus oryx, which occur in the moorland, with bushbuck Tragelaphus scriptus and red duiker Cephalophus natalensis being found above the treeline in places, and buffalo Syncerus caffer occasionally moves out of the forest into the moorland and grassland.
In the woodlands are warthog Phacochoerus aethiopicus bushbuck Tragelaphus scriptus, sitatunga T. spekei, grey duiker Sylvicapra grimmia, impala Aepyceros melampus and Kirk's dikdik Madoqua kirkii.
Of the 42 mammal species found in the reserve, prominent animals include eland, buffalo, bushbuck, mountain reedbuck, as well as black wildebeest (Connochaetes gnou), and bontebok (Damaliscus dorcas dorcas).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.