from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various broad-winged, soaring hawks of the genus Buteo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the broad-winged soaring raptors of the genus Buteo.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a genus of broad-winged soaring hawks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of ignoble hawks, of the family Falconidæ, sometimes forming a subfamily Buteoninæ; the buzzards or buzzard-hawks (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. broad-winged soaring hawks
Latin būteō, a kind of hawk or falcon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the genus name Buteo, from Latin būteō. (Wiktionary)