from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of three gaseous isomeric ethylene hydrocarbons, C4H8, used principally in making synthetic rubbers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of three isomeric aliphatic alkenes containing four carbon atoms and one double bond; their polymers are used as synthetic rubber.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of three metameric hydrocarbons, C4H8, of the ethylene series. They are gaseous or easily liquefiable; -- called also butene.
- n. the hypothetical divalent radical -(CH2)4-; -- used in combining forms.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hydrocarbon (C4H8) belonging to the olefine series. It exists in three isomeric forms, all of which are gases at ordinary temperatures.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of three isomeric hydrocarbons C4H8; all used in making synthetic rubbers
Sorry, no etymologies found.