- n. archaic, historical A secondary name for a person or thing; a person's surname.
- n. archaic, historical A nickname.
- n. Scotland A pseudonym; nom-de-plume.
- n. paganism A ritual title for a god or goddess used in Heathenry.
- v. transitive, archaic To assign a byname to.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To give a nickname to.
- n. a familiar name for a person (often a shortened version of a person's given name)
- From Middle English, equivalent to by- + name. Cognate with Dutch bijnaam ("nickname"), German Beiname ("nickname, epithet"). (Wiktionary)
“A familiar, invented given name for a person or thing used instead of the actual name of the person or thing; A kind of byname that describes a ...”
“After the work in Rome is done, a team of about 10 will travel around Italy, scanning Caravaggio's works, for the research center set to open this fall in the northern town that gave Michelangelo Merisi his byname, Caravaggio.”
“Simply specify things in a way that can apply to nothing other than a single church without ever mentioning it by name, same way Congress regularly gives individual corporations tax breaks by specificying “general” facts incorporation date and state and the like without ever having to mention the corporation byname.”
“Simply specify things in a way that can apply to nothing other than a single church without ever mentioning it byname”
“It certainly seems like Armin Glaser uh, and Mr. Rhino is attainted by this law, since his product is called out byname.”
“I had acquaintances in every clan company, and no longer trembled every time a man looked too long at me or called me a lewd byname, as I used to do when I was a newcomer to the Marchfield.”
“I believe Mr. Wilde is entitled to rail against UCLA, byname.”
“His byname, "Martel," meant "hammer" and was used to describe the way he indefatigably drove back the Moorish invasion.”
“The Resurrection Man — to use a byname of the period — was not to be deterred by any of the sanctities of customary piety.”
“A closer view showed why others gave Sultanapur's byname as "the Gilded Bitch of the Vilayet.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘byname’.
words on words. yyep.
More randomly-garnered terms from the world of words that don't quite yet fit into my other lists.
Looking for tweets for byname.