from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A public record, survey, or map of the value, extent, and ownership of land as a basis of taxation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a public survey of land for the purpose of taxation
- n. a register of such surveys, showing details of ownership and value
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An official statement of the quantity and value of real estate for the purpose of apportioning the taxes payable on such property; a public register showing the details of ownership and value of land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See cadaster.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a public register showing the details of ownership and value of land; made for the purpose of taxation
French, from Provençal cadastro, from Italian catastro, alteration of Old Italian catastico, from Late Greek katastikhon, register : Greek kata-, by; see cata- + Greek stikhos, line; see steigh- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the French cadastre. (Wiktionary)