Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Warming; heating.
- n. That which warms or heats; in medicine, a substance which excites a sensation of warmth in the part to which it is applied, as mustard, pepper, etc.; a superficial stimulant.
- adj. obsolete having heating or warming effects
- n. obsolete A medical agent or substance which produces a feeling of warmth when applied to the body.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. rare Making warm; heating.
- n. A substance that excites warmth in the parts to which it is applied, as mustard.
- adj. producing the sensation of heat when applied to the body
“The animal experimented upon to be supplied daily with a weighed quantity of food, the composition and calefacient value of which had been accurately determined.”
“The gases, vapors, and liquid and solid egesta thrown off from its body to be collected, analysed, and the calefacient  value of the combustible portion of them to be determined.”
“These figures show the relative calefacient, or heat-producing powers of the different foods named _outside_ the body; but there is some doubt as to their having the same relative values when burned _within_ the body.”
“Ammianus Marcellinus, Hunni semicruda cujusvis Pecoris carne vescuntur, quasi inter femora sua & equorum terga subsertam, calefacient brevi.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘calefacient’.
Some more words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words that have with subtly different meanings from other words.
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
Oddments culled from my "main" lists that belong in a display cabinet of their own, plus sundry other curiosities. :-)
Terms used in physiology
Looking for tweets for calefacient.