from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A North American annual plant (Coreopsis tinctoria) widely cultivated for its showy flower heads with yellow rays and purple-red to brownish centers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A popular name given to a few species of the genus Coreopsis, especially to Coreopsis tinctoria of Arkansas.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A former genus name of a group of plants of the family Asteraceæ, now referred to Coreopsis.
- n. [lowercase] A popular name of various cultivated species of Coreopsis, especially C. tinctoria (Calliopsis marmorata of florists) and C. lanceolata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. North American annual widely cultivated for its yellow flowers with purple-red to brownish centers; in some classifications placed in a subgenus Calliopsis
New Latin : Greek kalli-, beautiful (from kallos, beauty) + Greek opsis, appearance; see -opsis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)