from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Biology A small cup-shaped structure.
- n. Botany A group of small bracts that resembles a calyx.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any cup-shaped structure.
- n. A group of bracts resembling an outer calyx.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as calycle, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a group of bracts simulating a calyx as in a carnation or hibiscus
- n. a small cup-shaped structure (as a taste bud or optic cup or cavity of a coral containing a polyp)
Latin, diminutive of calyx, calyc-, calyx; see calyx.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.