from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A hydraulic elevator for raising a tank filled with water in which a canal-boat may float. Such an appliance is used on the canal near Manchester, England, to transfer boats from one level to another.
  • n. A cradle on which a canal-boat may rest and be drawn up by cable along an inclined railroad. A lift of this kind is in use on the Morris canal in New Jersey.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.