from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small canal or duct in the body, such as the minute channels in compact bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many small canals or ducts in bone or in some plants
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A minute canal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy and zoology, a little groove, furrow, pipe, tube, or other small channel.
- n. the microscopic branching tubules radiating from the lacunæ of bone, and connecting one lacuna with another.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small canal or duct as in some bones and parts of plants
Latin canāliculus, diminutive of canālis, conduit; see canal.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin canāliculus ("small channel, pipe or gutter"), diminutive of canālis ("channel; pipe, gutter"), from canna ("cane, reed"), from Ancient Greek κάννα (kanna, "reed"). (Wiktionary)