from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of certain bayberries, the wax myrtle, or the fruit of these plants.
- n. See candlenut.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Common name of the plants in the genus Myrica, containing about 35-50 species of small trees and shrubs in the family Myricaceae, order Fagales, with a wide distribution, including Africa, Asia, Europe, North America and South America.
- n. The fruit of plants in the genus Myrica.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fruit of Aleurites triloba, the candleberry-tree: so named because the kernels, when dried and stuck on a reed, are used by the Polynesians as candles. Also called candlenut.
- n. The wax-myrtle, Myrica cerifera, and its fruit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. deciduous aromatic shrub of eastern North America with grey-green wax-coated berries
candle + berry (Wiktionary)