from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tree (Pouteria campechiana), native to Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean and having very sweet oval fruit with a musky odor.
- n. The fruit of this tree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tropical tree, Pouteria campechiana, from Central America and the Caribbean, that bears a sweet oval fruit
- n. The fruit of this tree, having a musky odour
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a tropical tree of Florida and West Indies (Pouteria campechiana nervosa) yielding edible fruit.
- n. an ovoid orange-yellow mealy sweet fruit of Florida and West Indies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical tree of Florida and West Indies yielding edible fruit
- n. ovoid orange-yellow mealy sweet fruit of Florida and West Indies
American Spanish, from dialectal variant of Spanish canastillo, small basket, from Latin canistellum, diminutive of canistrum, basket; see canister.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)