from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To treat, combine, or impregnate with carbon, as when casehardening steel.
- transitive v. To carburet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To treat or react with carbon
- v. To carbonize
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To combine with carbon or a carbon compound; -- said esp. of a process for conferring a higher degree of illuminating power on combustible gases by mingling them with a vapor of volatile hydrocarbons.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cause to unite with carbon or a hydrocarbon, as when the illuminating power of a gas is increased by mingling with it the vapor of volatile hydrocarbons. Also carburise, carburet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. unite with carbon
carbur(et) + -ize.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)