from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church The position, rank, dignity, or term of a cardinal.
- n. Roman Catholic Church The College of Cardinals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The dignity and ecclestiastic office of Roman Catholic cardinal.
- n. Collective term for the cardinals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The office, rank, or dignity of a cardinal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office, rank, dignity, or incumbency of a cardinal. Also cardinalship.
- To make a cardinal of; raise to the office of cardinal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cardinals collectively
From Latin cardinalatus, from cardinalis ("cardinal"), itself the noun use of the adjective derived from cardo ("hinge, main point") + -alis ("-al"). (Wiktionary)