from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument used to record the mechanical movements of the heart.
- n. See electrocardiograph.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an instrument which, placed in contact with the chest, graphically registers the comparative duration and intensity of the heart's movements
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument which, when placed in contact with the chest, will register graphically the comparative duration and intensity of the heart's movements.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In physiology, an apparatus for recording by a tracing the movements of the heart.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. medical instrument that records electric currents associated with contractions of the heart
- n. a medical instrument that measures the mechanical force of cardiac contractions and the amount of blood passing through the heart during a specified period by measuring the recoil of the body as blood is pumped from the ventricles
cardio- + -graph (Wiktionary)