from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The basal joint of the maxilla in insects.
- n. The hinge of a bivalve shell.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In conchology, the hinge of a bivalve shell.
- n. In entomology, the basal joint of the maxilla, a narrow transverse piece, articulating with the lower side of the head.
- n. In Myriapoda, the distal or exterior one of two pieces of which the protomala or so-called mandible consists, the other piece being the stipes. See ṗrotomala, and cut under epilabrum. A. S. Packard.
- n. In the pelecypod mollusks, the primitive hinge: contrasted with the articulus or adult hinge.
- n. One of the two intersecting central streets of the Roman military camp or castrum, the other being the decumanus. A similar arrangement is found in the prehistoric pile-settlements of northern Italy.
Sorry, no etymologies found.