from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Alternative spelling of catechize.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To instruct by asking questions, receiving answers, and offering explanations and corrections, -- esp. in regard to points of religious faith.
- transitive v. To question or interrogate; to examine or try by questions; -- sometimes with a view to reproof, by eliciting from a person answers which condemn his own conduct.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give religious instructions to
- v. examine through questioning and answering
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He talked ambiguously, and was so apprehensive of what I might say that I had not the heart to catechise him.
At the meeting the Pope encouraged priests to to catechise parishioners about the depth of the liturgy and the meaning of the sacraments as encounters with God.
For if any one should a little catechise the greatest part of the partizans of most of the sects in the world, he would not find, concerning those matters they are so zealous for, that they have any opinions of their own: much less would he have reason to think that they took them upon the examination of arguments and appearance of probability.
But she has unhinged me, as you call it: pretended to catechise Hickman, I assure you, for contributing to our supposed correspondence.
Thou wilt see by it that every little monkey is to catechise me.
I will catechise the world for him; that is, make questions, and by them answer.
“Come, come, clerk,” continued he, “catechise him a little on this subject.”
I must catechise you for it, madonna: good my mouse of virtue, answer me.
At last she began to catechise me on the subject of secrecy, to which
Willis, her ladyship over acts her part — she not only expatiates on the ample fortune, the great connexions, and the unblemished character of Mr Barton, but she takes the trouble to catechise me; and, two days ago, peremptorily told me, that a girl of my age could not possibly resist so many considerations, if her heart was not pre-engaged.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.