from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several herbs of the genus Centaurium, especially a Eurasian species (C. erythraea) that has clusters of pink flowers and has long been used in herbal medicine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the flowering plants in the genus Centaurium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A gentianaceous plant not fully identified. The name is usually given to the Erytheræa Centaurium and the Chlora perfoliata of Europe, but is also extended to the whole genus Sabbatia, and even to the unrelated Centaurea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of various plants, chiefly of the knapweed, Centaurea nigra.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any plant of the genus Centaurea
- n. any of various plants of the genus Centaurium
Middle English, from Old English centaurie, from Latin centaurēum, from Greek kentaureion, from Kentauros, centaur (from the legend that the plant's medicinal properties were discovered by the centaur Chiron).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)