from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See Table at currency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Currency unit (hundredth of a peso) in Mexico
- n. A similar subdenomination of various other currencies.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a fractional monetary unit of several countries such as El Salvador, St. Thomas and Principe, Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, the Philippines, and Portugal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cent, or hundredth part of a dollar or peso, in Chili, Paraguay, Venezuela, Manila, etc.
- n. A current coin of Bolivia, the hundredth part of a boliviano.
- n. A current coin of Ecuador, the hundredth part of a sucre, equal to forty-nine hundredths of a United States cent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fractional monetary unit of several countries: El Salvador and Sao Tome and Principe and Brazil and Argentina and Bolivia and Colombia and Cuba and the Dominican Republic and Ecuador and El Salvador and Guatemala and Honduras and Mexico and Nicaragua and Peru and the Philippines and Portugal
One centavo is more or less equivalent to a US cent.
The price of the 10 percent security due in December 2024 rose 0.32 centavo to 115.34 centavos per peso, according to Banco Santander SA.
I show them peons — ten-centavo men when we took them, and five-peso men when I showed them.
Tio Greenglee! when I arrive home in my beat up old pickup (I suspect this has something to do with my magically making a 50 centavo coin appear from behind their little ears).
Marambio's fortune was amassed where Cubans cannot invest a single centavo: in those joint venture companies opened to those with foreign passports but not to those with national ones.
That's what it "clearly" looks like from where I sit ... centavo wrote on December 5, 2007 3: 18 PM:
This newest service offering also coincides with the latest tri-media advertising campaign of red mobile called Red Retro, which will kick off on July 3, 2009. red mobile's offer is consumable to the last centavo, giving the subscriber the flexibility to make a phone call or send an SMS message -- red-to-red or even to another network.
The boastful SONA was met with disapproval when the president boasted and said that text messaging is a way of life of the Filipinos and that she was able to convince the three big telecommunication companies to lower their text rate from 1 peso to 50 centavo per text.
He read a statement on national TV in which he denied receiving a single centavo from illegal gambling.
Mesmo assim a ONG tirou a sorte grande e obteve, com as suas técnicas de marketing, colar o nome da entidade em quase todas as matérias relevantes de jornais e revistas mundiais que publicaram matérias sobre as fotos dos índios isolados, sem ter dado um centavo para tornar realidade o que vimos em primeira mão neste blog e na Terra Magazine.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.