from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the horn-plate or horn-layer of the skin; the epidermis or cuticle: in the most general sense including all epidermal parts or structures, as horns, nails, hoofs, claws, etc.
- n. [capitalized] In zoology:
- n. A genus of bees, family Apidæ and subfamily Dasygastrinæ. C. dupla is an example.
- n. A genus of arachnidans.
- n. A genus of dicotyledonous plants belonging to the family Solanaceæ. See Solandra.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.