from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to the bone or cartilage below the epihyal in the hyoid arch.
- n. A ceratohyal bone or cartilage which, in humans, forms one of the small horns of the hyoid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to the bone, or cartilage, below the epihyal in the hyoid arch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy, pertaining to or noting certain lateral portions of the hyoid skeletal arch; the smaller and anterior cornu of the hyoid bone in man.
- n. In anatomy:
- n. In mammals, including man, the lesser cornu of the hyoid bone; that by which the bone is slung to the skull, situated at the junction of the greater cornu or thyrohyal with the body of the bone or basihyal. Flower. See cut under skull.
- n. In birds, the corresponding part of the hyoid bone, which, however, does not connect the bone with the skull, and is borne upon the glossohyal, not the basihyal: it is always small, often wanting.
- n. In ornithology, formerly, the bone of the compound hyoid, now known as the epibranchial; that bone which is borne upon the apohyal (of former nomenclature, now the ceratobranchial), and forms the terminal portion of the greater cornu.
- n. In fishes, the chief element of the branchiostegal arch, which bears most of the branchiostegal rays.
Ancient Greek horn + the letter Y. (Wiktionary)