from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bristle or seta, especially of an annelid worm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A chitinous bristle of an annelid worm
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a stiff chitinous seta or bristle especially of an annelid worm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology, a bristle; a seta: used chiefly in composition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stiff chitinous seta or bristle especially of an annelid worm
New Latin, from Greek khaitē, long hair.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek χαίτη (chaite, "crest, mane, flowing hair, foliage") (Wiktionary)