Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like chaff; full of chaff.
- In botany, furnished with chaff, as the receptacle in some compound flowers; paleaceous.
- Figuratively, light; frivolous; unstable.
- Given to chaffing; bantering; ironical.
- n. A chaffinch.
- adj. Like or containing chaff.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Abounding in, or resembling, chaff.
- adj. Light or worthless as chaff.
- adj. Resembling chaff; composed of light dry scales.
- adj. Bearing or covered with dry scales, as the under surface of certain ferns, or the disk of some composite flowers.
- adj. abounding in or covered with or resembling or consisting of chaff
- adj. value.
- chaff + -y (Wiktionary)
“How 'chaffy' and frivolous this gay world of London appeared to these first Publishers, consumed with the burning eagerness of their mission, the following description shows.”
“It went to my heart to oppose her in any wish; and also this kind of chaffy opposition might pain her.”
“Badawi (vol.v. 98), with its reminiscence of “chaffy””
“He was as chaffy as he was sixty years ago, too, and swore the Archbishop and”
“Most of the recent improved varieties from breeding programs in Africa yield grain that is poorly developed, headbug damaged, and chaffy when harvested from stressed environments.”
“Also, small seeds and lightweight, chaffy seeds are more likely to drift in the wind, so they are harder to target during the drop.”
“Palate: = hypopharynx; q.v. Paleace: chaff or chaffy: = paleaceous.”
“By the side of it a man was setting out on an eating-stand a half-eaten ham, chaffy rolls and pies yellow with age.”
“Nut kernels that are poorly filled are often hollow, shrunken, shriveled, and chaffy.”
“The words of praise he gives his memory are like golden grains amid the chaffy _verbiage_ with which he defends himself.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chaffy’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words with definitions containing "figuratively."
The Last Good Words Left
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Looking for tweets for chaffy.