from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a tropical family of snakelike lizards (Chalcidæ), having four small or rudimentary legs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or relating to Chalcis, the chief city of the Greek island sometimes called Egripo and Negropont, but now bearing its ancient name Eubœa.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Chalcis.
- n. An insect of the family Chalcididæ. Also chalcid.
- Belonging to or having the characters of the lizards called Chalcididæ. See Chalcididæ.
- n. A lizard of the family Chalcididæ. Also chalcid.
Sorry, no etymologies found.