from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pair of straps, with stirrups, joined at the top and fastened to the pommel or the frame of the saddle, after they have been adjusted to the convenience of the rider.
- n. A kind of chain pump, or dredging machine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pair of stirrup-leathers, with stirrups, joined at the top in a sort of leather buckle, by which they are made fast to the pommel of the saddle.
- n. In hydraulic engineering, a dredging or water-raising machine, consisting of a chain provided with buckets or with pallets traversing in a trough.
- n. A metallic chuck or bonnet for holding one end of a cannon in the turning-lathe.
- n. In founding, a device for holding the core of a mold in position; a grain; specifically, a mass of wrought-iron with projecting arms, used to center the core-barrel in making gun-castings, with the muzzle downward, when the Rodman method of cooling is employed.
- n. Also chaplet, chapellet.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
And whan thei ben nyghe him, with the cros, thanne he dothe a down his galaothe, that syt upon his hede, in manere of a chapelet, that is made of gold and preciouse stone and grete perles.
I stood trembling under the threatening sword of this barbarian; but my master, without loss of time, threw upon me a kind of chapelet  of incredible length; and then took up a little book, which hung by his girdle; at the same instant, the women, rushing towards me, drew me from under the hand of Nouegem, and put me under those of the enraged priest, as they all dreaded, he was to pronounce an anathema on his opponent.
Perils and Captivity Comprising The sufferings of the Picard family after the shipwreck of the Medusa, in the year 1816; Narrative of the captivity of M. de Brisson, in the year 1785; Voyage of Madame Godin along the river of the Amazons, in the year 1770.
However in Austria it is more commonly a betschnur “prayer string” and in France, often a chapelet.
Invocation à Saint Michel que vous pouvez dire par exemple à la fin de chaque dizaine de votre chapelet ou Rosaire facultatif
C't'ap j'avais rendez vous chez la psy alors ben j'm'y rends logique et pis dans la salle de consultation je ballarde mon sac auquel est accroché un chapelet et la le fameux chapelet se decroche et est projeté a travers la piece et manque de tuer ma psy bref un journee tout a fait Pinkuesque!
Pourtant j'etais bien parti dans l'idee d'ecrire un nouveau chapitre pour "le chapelet bleu" mais finalement la fatigue a eu raison de moi.
Roh ben en parlant de Chapelet pourkoi je mettrais pas 'le chapelet bleu' dans la fictitious life?
Il me reste donc a finir "le chapelet bleu" et pis ... ben voila quoi!
Chaucer is my latest authority for it (“_rosen_ chapelet”).
Les branches sont composées de cylindres enfilés sans ordre, à la suite les uns des autres comme des grains de chapelet.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.