from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A diplomatic representative, or minister of an inferior grade, accredited by the government of one state to the minister of foreign affairs of another; also, a substitute, ad interim, for an ambassador or minister plenipotentiary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- One who transacts diplomatic business at a foreign court during the absence of his superior, the ambassador or minister.
- An envoy to a state to which a diplomatist of a higher grade is not sent.
- n. An officer or other person left in charge of any business or office during the temporary absence of the chief.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the official temporarily in charge of a diplomatic mission in the absence of the ambassador
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.