from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pocketlike fold of skin in the cheeks of various animals, such as squirrels, gophers, and monkeys, that functions as a means of carrying food.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pouch in the cheek of some animals, usually used to carry food.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a sacklike dilation of the cheeks of certain monkeys and rodents, used for holding food.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A special dilatation of the skin or of the skin and mucous membrane of the cheek, forming a pouch or bag outside the teeth, in many animals, as monkeys, squirrels, and various other rodents.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a membranous pouch inside the mouth of many rodents (as a gopher)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.