American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various small, six-legged larvae of mites of the family Trombiculidae, parasitic on insects, humans, and other vertebrates. The chigger's bite produces a wheal that is usually accompanied by severe itching. Also called chigoe, harvest bug, harvest mite, jigger2, red bug.
- n. See chigoe.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A chigoe (Tunga penetrans), a kind of flea found in tropical climates.
- n. A harvest mite, a very small, red mite endemic to the Midwestern and Southeastern US, the infestation of which causes intense itching.
- n. : (slang, US) derogatory term for an East Asian person who behaves in ways similar to a stereotypical urban African American.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a small tropical flea (Tunga penetrans, formerly Pulex penetrans); same as chigoe.
- n. a larval mite of the family
Trombiculidaethat sucks the blood of vertebrates including human beings, causing intense irritation, and serving to transmit several infectious diseases.
- n. small tropical flea; the fertile female burrows under the skin of the host including humans
- n. larval mite that sucks the blood of vertebrates including human beings causing intense irritation
- Blend of chink and nigger (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of chigoe. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A chinese person who acts white is called a chigger (I know sounds like an insect) * I'm sure you can figure out why that is”
“The mite, Mr. Snow informed her, was called a chigger—he advised her to apply mud poultices to her itching legs, a remedy Tasmin adopted with some reluctance, since it rather cut against her vanity.”
“Various other names such as chigger-flea, sand-flea, jigger, chigger are also applied to this insect as well as to a minute red mite that burrows into the skin in much the same way as the female of the flea.”
“And Billy dances off again in newer glee, while the inspired musician is plunking a banjo imitation on his enchanted instrument, which is unceremoniously drowned out by a circus-tune from Doc that is absolutely inspiring to every one but the barefooted brother, who drops back listlessly to his old position on the floor and sullenly renews operations on his "chigger" claims.”
“Did you ever paint your chigger bites with nail polish?”
“Steve182 - Octagon soap works well for chigger relief for me, not prevention mind you.”
“Got chigger bites real bad one time while picking dewberries out behind the Shamrock movie theater in Houston.”
“Also try flippin a berkley chigger craw around cover.”
“It's chigger season here, so i wore hip wader to avoid getting them while walking thru the underbrush.”
“Spread on the bites this will kill the chigger and its eggs under your skin.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chigger’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
These have some growing up to do.
Nifty words from a wonderful novel
words that could get you in trouble around those who don't know what they mean
Looking for tweets for chigger.