from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small, six-legged larvae of mites of the family Trombiculidae, parasitic on insects, humans, and other vertebrates. The chigger's bite produces a wheal that is usually accompanied by severe itching. Also called chigoe, harvest bug, harvest mite, jigger2, red bug.
- n. See chigoe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A chigoe (Tunga penetrans), a kind of flea found in tropical climates.
- n. A harvest mite, a very small, red mite endemic to the Midwestern and Southeastern US, the infestation of which causes intense itching.
- n. : (slang, US) derogatory term for an East Asian person who behaves in ways similar to a stereotypical urban African American.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small tropical flea (Tunga penetrans, formerly Pulex penetrans); same as chigoe.
- n. a larval mite of the family Trombiculidae that sucks the blood of vertebrates including human beings, causing intense irritation, and serving to transmit several infectious diseases.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A perverted form of chigoe. Compare jigger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small tropical flea; the fertile female burrows under the skin of the host including humans
- n. larval mite that sucks the blood of vertebrates including human beings causing intense irritation
A chinese person who acts white is called a chigger (I know sounds like an insect) * I'm sure you can figure out why that is
The mite, Mr. Snow informed her, was called a chigger—he advised her to apply mud poultices to her itching legs, a remedy Tasmin adopted with some reluctance, since it rather cut against her vanity.
Various other names such as chigger-flea, sand-flea, jigger, chigger are also applied to this insect as well as to a minute red mite that burrows into the skin in much the same way as the female of the flea.
And Billy dances off again in newer glee, while the inspired musician is plunking a banjo imitation on his enchanted instrument, which is unceremoniously drowned out by a circus-tune from Doc that is absolutely inspiring to every one but the barefooted brother, who drops back listlessly to his old position on the floor and sullenly renews operations on his "chigger" claims.
Did you ever paint your chigger bites with nail polish?
Steve182 - Octagon soap works well for chigger relief for me, not prevention mind you.
Got chigger bites real bad one time while picking dewberries out behind the Shamrock movie theater in Houston.
Also try flippin a berkley chigger craw around cover.
It's chigger season here, so i wore hip wader to avoid getting them while walking thru the underbrush.
Spread on the bites this will kill the chigger and its eggs under your skin.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.