from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thick-walled, asexual fungal spore that is derived from a hyphal cell and can function as a resting spore.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thick-walled spore that is the resting stage of some bacteria
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The reproductive organ in some fungi: so called on account of its being invested by two very distinct envelops.
- n. In zoology, a coated or covered spore; a spore with its own investment: opposed to gymnospore.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. thick-walled asexual resting spore of certain fungi and algae
Latin chlamys, chlamyd-, mantle; see chlamys + spore.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)