American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A patchy brown or dark brown skin discoloration that usually occurs on a woman's face and may result from hormonal changes, as in pregnancy.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Literally, greenness; in pathology, a name for a cutaneous affection characterized by patches of a yellow or yellowish-brown color, the pityriasis versicolor, occurring most frequently on the neck, breast, abdomen, and groin. The name is also applied less definitely to a number of brownish discolorations.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) A cutaneous affection characterized by yellow or yellowish brown pigmented spots.
- n. a tan discoloration of a woman's face that is associated with pregnancy or with the use of oral contraceptives
- Ancient Greek (Wiktionary)
- New Latin, from Greek khloasma, greenness, from khloazein, to be green, from khloos, greenish color; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This “mask of pregnancy” called chloasma usually disappears within a few weeks after your baby’s birth.”
“Skin changes: linea nigra, mask of pregnancy chloasma”
“• Skin changes: linea nigra, mask of pregnancy chloasma”
“These patches are known popularly as liver spots or in medical language as _chloasma_.”
“#Into what two general classes may the various examples of chloasma be grouped?”
“#What cases of chloasma are included in the symptomatic group?”
“Lentigo consists simply of a circumscribed deposit of pigment granules -- merely a localized increase of the normal pigment, differing from chloasma (_q.v. _) only in the size and shape of the pigmentation.”
“When upon exposed parts, stimulation of the patches, with the view of producing hyperæmia and consequent pigment deposit; conjoined with suitable applications to the surrounding pigmented skin, with a view to lessen the coloration (see _treatment of chloasma_), will be of aid in rendering the disease less conspicuous.”
“#What cases of chloasma are included in the idiopathic group?”
“It is not to be confounded with vitiligo, chloasma, or the macular syphiloderm.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chloasma’.
Words for the diehard intermediate and advanced spellers
For double the fun, see also Congenital Conditions.
Interesting words you probably won't hear in your day-to-day.
-grandiloquent (this word has the honor of sounding exactly like what it means.
-scrumptious (this word just makes me want to eat pie)
As if pregnancy isn't surreal enough, it comes with a suite of bizarre words.
Looking for tweets for chloasma.