from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A variety of fluor spar, which, when heated, gives a striking emerald-green light.
- n. The yellowish-green pigment in the inner segment of the cones of the retina.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A variety of fluor spar, which, when heated, gives a beautiful emerald green light.
- n. The yellowish green pigment in the inner segment of the cones of the retina. See Chromophane.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A variety of fluor-spar which exhibits a bright-green phosphorescent light when heated.
- n. A greenish-yellow coloring matter contained in the retina of the eye.
Ancient Greek χλωρός (khlōros, "light green") + φαίνω (phainō, "show, shine"): compare French chlorophane. (Wiktionary)