American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An oily colorless liquid, CCl3NO2, that causes skin, lung, and mucous membrane irritation and is used in tear gas and in dyestuffs, disinfectants, insecticides, and soil fumigants. Also called nitrochloroform.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pungent colorless liquid (CNO2Cl3), the vapor of which attacks the eyes powerfully. It is prepared by the action of bleaching-powder on picric acid or of nitric acid on chloral. Also called
- n. organic chemistry The chlorinated derivative of nitromethane CCl3NO2 that is used as a pesticide and tear gas
- n. a heavy colorless insoluble liquid compound that causes tears and vomiting; used as a pesticide and as tear gas
- chloro- + picr(o)- + -in. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Of gases actually tried out in the World War itself, the chief seem to have been chlorine and various chlorine compounds (phosgene, Green Cross gas, chloropicrin and so forth).”
“But like Monterey County, Ventura County has seen a big increase in the use of other fumigants, including Telone and chloropicrin.”
“And when you look at overall use of fumigants, including methyl bromide, chloropicrin and Telone, you find that the amount of dangerous fumigants used is much higher than it was 20 years ago.”
“Sometimes chloropicrin lingers, not as a residue to wash off, but in the air.”
“I am moving my family back into our apartment after the landlord fumigated our building with sulfuryl fluoride and chloropicrin.”
“There shouldn't be any residue of chloropicrin in your apartment.”
“The test in this case was with a soil fumigant called chloropicrin.”
“After a soil fumigation in which all of the application rules were followed and no equipment failure occurred, scientists measured levels of chloropicrin in the air. they found that "Average levels over the 19-day period were 23 to 151 times higher than acceptable cancer risks.”
“Effects of chloropicrin soil treatment on the microflora of soil and ryegrass roots and on ryegrass yield”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chloropicrin’.
It's a hazardous world out there...poison all around. I've tried not to include too many drugs (including medicines) and have ignored the fact that too much of anything can poison you. We're going ...
Looking for tweets for chloropicrin.