Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or containing chlorin; specifically, containing chlorin in larger proportion than chloric compounds: as, chlorous oxid; chlorous acid.
- adj. chemistry Of a compound, containing chlorine with a lower oxidation number than equivalent chloric compounds; especially having an oxidation number of 3.
- adj. obsolete Relating to, or resembling, the electronegative character of chlorine; hence, electronegative; opposed to basylous or zincous.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or derived from, chlorine; -- said of those compounds of chlorine in which this element has a valence of three, the next lower than in chloric compounds.
- adj. (Chem. Physics), obsolete Pertaining to, or resembling, the electro-negative character of chlorine; hence, electro-negative; -- opposed to
“These elements which are disengaged at the negative pole are termed electro-positive or positive or basylous elements, while those disengaged at the positive pole are termed electro-negative or negative or chlorous elements.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chlorous’.
Looking for tweets for chlorous.