from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various deciduous shrubs of the genus Aronia in the rose family, native to eastern North America and having clusters of small white or pinkish flowers and tiny red to black applelike fruit.
- n. The fruit of any of these plants.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Either of two species of deciduous shrubs in the family Rosaceae, native to Russia and eastern North America and most commonly found in wet woods and swamps.
- n. The fruit of such a shrub.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The small apple-shaped or pear-shaped fruit of an American shrub (Pyrus arbutifolia) growing in damp thickets; also, the shrub.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The plant Pyrus arbutifolia, a low rosaceous shrub of North America, or its very astringent berry-like fruit.
From its bitter fruit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)