from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bitter yellow substance forming the essential constituent of Goa powder, and yielding chrysophanic acid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bitter, yellow substance forming the essential constituent of Goa powder, and yielding chrysophanic acid proper; hence formerly called also chrysphanic acid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as Goa powder (which see, under powder).
- A supposed chemical principle, the chief constituent and active medicinal principle of Goa powder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bitter yellow powder used to treat skin diseases
Ancient Greek gold + araroba a foreign name of Goa powder + -in. (Wiktionary)