from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An insect of the genus Cimex, which includes the bedbugs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any member of the genus Cimex, especially the bedbug.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of hemipterous insects of which the bedbug is the best known example. See bedbug.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Pl. cimices (sim′ i-sēz). A bug, as a bedbug.
- n. [capitalized] A genus of heteropterous hemipterous insects, typical of the family Cimicidæ. Cimex lectularius is the bedbug. See bug, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Cimicidae: bedbugs
Latin cīmex, bedbug.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the genus name Cimex, from Latin cīmex ("bug"). (Wiktionary)