American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An Italian, especially a poet or an artist, of the 16th century.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A writer or an artist of the sixteenth century; one who imitates the sixteenth-century style. See cinque-cento.
- n. A student of or authority on the period known as the cinque-cento.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An Italian of the sixteenth century, esp. a poet or artist.
- n. A student or imitator of the art or literature of the Cinquecento.
“Michelangelo, in a passion, named the dealer -- one Baldassare -- to whom he had sent the statue after treating it, with the questionable morality of the cinquecentist, so as to give it the appearance of having lain in the ground, to the end that Baldassare might dispose of it as an antique.”
“He deplored the necessity for the deed, but it was unavoidable, and your cinquecentist never shrank from anything that necessity imposed upon him.”
“Saturated undercoats and beautiful flesh browns, skin strokes in every sort of unnameable shade and many grays as well, glaucous and sky smoke, because it’s always winter in Chicago and the gang members belong to their terrain, to the pale brick and iced-over windows, and in this sense they could be brothers to the olive-skinned men in the frescoed gloom of some Umbrian church—Acey had the calm and somber eye of a cinquecentist.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cinquecentist’.
Looking for tweets for cinquecentist.