from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The function .
- adj. Having two mutations on two genes on the same chromosome of a homologous pair.
- adj. Of the side of the Golgi apparatus nearer to the endoplasmic reticulum.
- adj. (properly cis-) Describing a double bond in which the greater radical on both ends is on the same side of the bond.
- adj. Cisgender or cissexual: not trans (transgender or transsexual).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of xylophagous coleopterous insects, giving name to a family Cioidæ or Cisidæ.
- n. A prefix of Latin origin, signifying ‘on this side of,’ forming adjectives with names of rivers, mountains, etc.
- n. An abbreviation (in cis
θ) for (cos θ+ i sin θ): in function theory: as, x = ξ+ i η= ρ(cos θ+ i sin θ) = ρcis θ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an alliance made up of states that had been Soviet Socialist Republics in the Soviet Union prior to its dissolution in Dec 1991
Abbreviation, presumably from either English cosine and sine and the number i or translingual cos, i, and sin. (Wiktionary)
From Latin cis ("on the same side"). (Wiktionary)