from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various widely distributed soft-finned fishes of the family Clupeidae, which includes the herrings, menhadens, and sardines.
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the family Clupeidae.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many soft-finned fish of the family Clupeidae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any of numerous soft-finned schooling food fishes of the family Clupeidae, inhabiting the shallow waters of northern seas. The group includes the herrings, menhaden, sardines, and shad.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the family Clupeidæ. Also clupeoid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous soft-finned schooling food fishes of shallow waters of northern seas
From New Latin Clupeidae, family name, from Latin clupea, a kind of small fish.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)