from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A shieldlike plate on the front of the head of an insect.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The shield-shaped front part of an insect's head or a spider's cephalothorax.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The frontal plate of the head of an insect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In archaeology: A large circular shield, with a convex outer and concave inner surface.
- n. An ornamental disk, of marble or other substance, in the shape of a shield, often sculptured in relief, hung in the intercolumniations of the atria of Roman dwellings, etc. Examples have been found at Pompeii and elsewhere.
- n. [NL.] In entomology, properly, that part of the upper surface of an insect's head which lies before the front or forehead, and behind the labrum when the latter is present; a fixed sclerite immediately in front of the epicranium, and to which the labrum is attached. See cut under Hymenoptera.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] A genus of fossil echinoderms. C. sinuatus is an example.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shield-like plate on the front of an insect's head
Millipedes were killed by disarticulation, often through decapitation, using the clypeus as a lever.
The secutores have a very plain helmet, that their adversary may have little or no opportunity of pulling it off with the net or trident; the right arm is clothed in armor, the left bore a _clypeus_, or large round shield; a sandal tied with narrow bands forms the covering for their feet.
With the one exception of its monstrous size, there were the characteristics in plain view; -- the convex body, the large head, the projecting clypeus.
Ante-clypeus: Odonata; the lower of the two divisions of the clypeus; the inferior half of the clypeus whenever there is any apparent line of demarcation: = clypeus-anterior; infra-clypeus; rhinarium; second clypeus.
Ante-coxal piece: Coleoptera; that portion of the metasternum lying in front of the posterior coxae, often passing between them and meeting the abdomen of mandible, is the lateral sclerite of the clypeus; - one on each side.
Epistoma - is: the lower face between the mouth and eyes: that sclerite immediately behind or above the labrum, whether it be clypeus or an intermediate piece: in Diptera, that part of the face between the front and the labrum; the oral margin and an indefinite space immediately contiguous thereto and so = peristoma: in Odonata; = clypeus: = hypostoma.
Nasal suture: = clypeal suture; q.v. Nasus: anterior termination of the face in certain Hymenoptera: the clypeus or a modification of it: in Odonata, the upper portion of the clypeus = supra-clypeus = postclypeus.
Mystacine - us: bcarded: with a hairy fringe above mouth or on clypeus.
Clypeal suture: marks the division between clypeus and epicranium.
Gena - ae: the cheeks; includes that portion of the head on each side below the eyes, and extends to the gular suture: in Odonata the area between the eyes and clypeus and mouth parts: in Diptera the space between the lower border of the eye and oral margin, merging into face at front and limited by the occipital margin behind.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.