Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A coastal lagoon, of the Carboniferous or other geological period, overgrown with the vegetation from which coal-beds have been formed.
- n. According to their composition, into at least 20 different types of coloring-matters, the following being the classification adopted in A. E. Green's translation of Schultz and Julius's “Systematic Survey of the Organic Coloring Matters.” This classification is chiefly used by color-manufacturers and color-chemists: nitro coloring-matters;
- n. monoazo coloring-matters;
- n. diazo coloring-matters;
- n. triazo coloring-matters;
- n. tetrakisazo coloring-matters;
- n. nitroso or quinoneoxime coloring-matters;
- n. stilbene coloring-matters;
- n. oxyketone, oxylactone, and oxyquinone colors (excluding anthracene derivatives);
- n. diphenylmethane coloring-matters;
- n. (10) triphenylmethane coloring-matters;
- n. (11) xanthene coloring-matters (pyronines, phthaleins, and rhodamines);
- n. (12) acridine coloring-matters;
- n. (13) anthracene coloring-matters;
- n. (14) indophenols, indamines, and allies;
- n. (15) azines and azonium coloring-matters (eurodines, safranines, indulines, and rosindulines);
- n. (16) oxazine coloring-matters;
- n. (17) thiazine coloring-matters;
- n. (18) thiazol or thiobenzenyl coloring-matters;
- n. (19) quinoline coloring-matters;
- n. (20) sulphid coloring-matters.
- n. According to their application, into 10 groups: basic colors;
- n. phthalic anhydrid colors;
- n. acid colors;
- n. direct cotton colors;
- n. sulphid colors;
- n. insoluble azo colors;
- n. mordant-acid colors;
- n. mordant colors;
- n. reducible vat colors;
- n. (10) aniline black. This classification is used by textile-colorists.
“Calamites growing thickly together in the coal-forests, for we find their remains everywhere in the clay, so we can easily picture to ourselves how the dense jungle formed by these plants would fringe the coal-swamp, as the present plants do the Great”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘coal-swamp’.
Another of my random palavery lists for words or phrases that haven't yet found a place in one or more of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for coal-swamp.