American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A blue to green pigment consisting of a variable mixture of cobalt oxide and alumina.
- n. A moderate to deep vivid blue or greenish blue.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a dark blue pigment consisting of some salt of cobalt, as the phosphate, ignited with alumina; -- called also
cobalt ultramarine, and Thenard's blue.
- n. greenish-blue pigment consisting essentially of cobalt oxide and alumina
- n. a shade of blue tinged with green
“Reaching into the cobalt blue velvet cape she wore against the late spring’s still-cool breezes, Rowena withdrew a small iron cleaver that she’d smuggled from the kitchen.”
“ As far as the eye could see there was nothing but mile upon mile of never-ending sand, burning golden-red against the cobalt blue sky.”
“Theme colors are bright, bold colors like fire-truck red and cobalt blue highlighted with metallic colors like silver and gold.”
“You lay down a wash of cobalt blue on a good white paper like a 240-pound cold-pressed D'Arches.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cobalt blue’.
The naming of colours is a difficult matter,
it isn't just one of your holiday games.
Names for colors composed of two or more words. All of these are defined as colors in at least one dictionary, most being in MW3. See Chromonyms for one-word color names.
A big list of color names for use on wordrainbow.com
Looking for tweets for cobalt blue.