from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an unofficial form of punishment among the crew involving blows to the buttocks from a piece of wood
- adj. haughty; purse-proud
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Haughty; purse-proud. See cob, n., 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Making a vulgar display.
- n. In mining, the operation of breaking ore for the purpose of sorting out the better parts.
- n. Broken pieces of old bricks and bottoms of furnaces that have absorbed copper. Encyc. Brit., VI. 348, note.
cob + -ing (Wiktionary)