American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To apply methods of business to for profit.
- v. To do, exploit, or make chiefly for financial gain.
- v. To sacrifice the quality of for profit.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To render commercial in character, methods, or spirit; make a matter of trade.
- v. transitive to apply business methodology to something in order to profit
- v. transitive to exploit something for maximum financial gain, sometimes by sacrificing quality
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. to make something commercial in character, either by placing it for sale on the open market, or by emphasizing its profit-making aspects.
- v. exploit for maximal profit, usually by sacrificing quality
- v. make commercial
- commercial + -ize (Wiktionary)
“There are two very different types of startup: one kind that evolves naturally, and one kind that's called into being to "commercialize" a scientific discovery.”
“Mr. Stern also said he felt somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of Sanitation paying rent to the trust, as it might not even be legal for the trust to "commercialize" the pier in that way.”
“Fujitsu plans to "commercialize" the technology later this year in the Japanese market, but provided no specific product plans.”
“Company officials have said they need another $5 million to "commercialize" the cars they have designed.”
“Because of the Act, many universities set up "tech transfer offices" to try to "commercialize" the research going on at those universities.”
“Another idea floated by McAuliffe: doing more to, in his words, "commercialize" university research.”
“He mentions that he likes keeping his music within the fan based community rather than "commercialize" it.”
“Defenders of Wildlife and other groups opposed the addition of snares and other changes to the program, saying it would "commercialize" predator control of bears by allowing the skins to be resold by wholesalers and not requiring hunters to keep the meat.”
“commercialize" new drugs and research developed by the Medical University.”
“Oxygen, which has never posted a profit, hopes to commercialize drugs it is developing to efficiently deliver oxygen to tissues for cosmetic and therapeutic purposes.”
Looking for tweets for commercialize.