from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A short concerto.
- n. The solo group in a concerto grosso.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a short concerto.
- n. the group of solo instruments in a concerto grosso.
- n. a section in a concerto grosso played by three instruments.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A piece for one or more solo instruments with orchestra; -- more concise than the
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music, a small concerto.
- In music, employed in the performance of a concerto: as, a violino concertino.
- n. In a concerto grosso (which see), the group of solo instruments taken collectively.
Italian, diminutive of concerto, concert; see concert.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)